Immunization 101 for International Students coming to the USA

Immunization 101 for International Students coming to the USA

In preparation for your move to the US, including getting accepted by your school, choosing courses, setting up accommodation, buying plane tickets, etc. International students should not forget to arrange immunizations for studying in the USA!

We here at peerTransfer have come up with a list of thing to keep in mind when preparing for vaccines.



Most Colleges and Universities require that International students have a set of immunization for studying in the US before even registering for any classes. The most common diseases that schools require immunization against are (the MMR vaccine):

  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Rubella

However, all schools have different sets of requirements and may also include:

  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Tuberculosis

Visit your school’s website for more information on what vaccine or testing you need to have done before you enroll.

Give yourself enough time:  Some of these vaccines include a set of 3 shots, which may be given in 4-6 week intervals. Make sure you give yourself enough time to finish the sets before you’ll have to leave “unfinished”.  It’s probably best to start at least 3 months before your departure date.

If you’re already in the US:  Having said that, it is oftentimes possible for International Students to get your vaccines in order to meet requirements for studying in the USA after you have arrived.  However, it is usually more expensive and can be quiet a hassle, and you will probably rather focus on classes, finding friends and adjusting to the new life and culture, than having to deal with vaccines…

You must be logged in to post a comment Login