I lost my green card while traveling in another country. What should I do?

I lost my green card while traveling in another country. What should I do?

By. Immigrations Informations

If you lost your green card outside of the U.S., the first thing to do is contact the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy, U.S. port of entry or USCIS office. Contact them and explain your situation and they will give you instructions on how to obtain a new green card. Likely, you will have to file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

Filing Form I-90 is a very simple process. You can even do it online! The form requires the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your parents’ names
  • The location where you applied for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status
  • The location where your immigrant visa was issued or USCIS office where adjustment of status was granted
  • Your Alien Registration Number
  • Your mailing address
  • Your physical address
  • Your date and place of birth
  • You class and date of admission into the U.S.
  • Your U.S. Social Security number

You must also submit a copy of a government-issued form of identification that contains your name, date of birth, photograph and signature (driver’s license, passport or military ID). Include the application fee and biometrics fee with the application.

You will also have to have a biometrics services appointment as part of the I-90 application process, after you submit the I-90 application to USCIS. USCIS will send you a letter after receiving your I-90 application and it will tell you where and when to attend the biometrics appointment.

Once your I-90 application is process and approved, you will be issued a new green card in the mail.


You must be logged in to post a comment Login